Re: Re: Error on Windows server could not open relation base/xxx/xxx Permission denied

From: "John T(dot) Dow" <john(at)johntdow(dot)com>
To: "Massa, Harald Armin" <chef(at)ghum(dot)de>
Cc: "pgsql-general" <pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Re: Error on Windows server could not open relation base/xxx/xxx Permission denied
Date: 2010-06-13 23:29:27
Lists: pgsql-general

>can you please give more information about the (windows)-user "postgres" ?
>is it a local user on that machine? How was that user created?

It's the user created by the one-click installer. I believe it owns the postgres data directory and is used to start the server. Other than that, the intention is for this user to have no other file privileges. The default is "postgres" but it could be anything.

>Are there any group-policies or similar, or "security-applications" present,
>which can change the rights of this user postgres? (Or, can change the
>access-properties of files on the system?)

I don't know. It is not my computer, it is my client's computer. We will investigate if anything like that is going on. He was only available until 4PM today and we just discovered what was happening shortly before that point. The people that do their security should be available Monday and we can ask them this type of question.

Any idea of what to look for?

>Your sentenceabout "postgres being unhappy when not having access to the
>files" makes me curious how you did learn that --- was somebody / something
>taking file access away from Postgres? Could that somebody / something still
>be active?

That somebody was me, experimenting over the years. But I have not been messing around with this particular application. However, I'm not sure what the client did, as they copied the data files between the two computers at a time when I wasn't available. (They zipped, then unzipped after logging in as the proper user.)

As a developer for multiple clients, I need easy access to my development copies of my clients' postgres data files. Therefore I have experimented with allowing my own userid to have access to the "data" directory and the subdirectories and files. I believe postgres doesn't care if you allow extra users, as long as "postgres" still has the proper access.

John