Re: database response slows while pg_dump is running (8.4.2)

From: Adrian von Bidder <avbidder(at)fortytwo(dot)ch>
To: pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: database response slows while pg_dump is running (8.4.2)
Date: 2010-06-11 06:43:53
Lists: pgsql-general

Heyho!

On Thursday 10 June 2010 23.49:58 Aleksey Tsalolikhin wrote:
> 3. We ARE disk bound. Disk utilization goes to 94% during
> the dump. There is an order of magnitude more reads than
> writes.

Just speculation, I've not tried this. Perhaps pipe the output of pg_dump
through a software that bandwidth-limits the throughput? (I don't know if
such a command exists, but it probably could be done in 4 lines of Perl or
30 lines of C if necessary.) Or are there so many buffers involved that
this would just cause data to pile up in memory, waiting to be written out?

cheers
-- vbi

--
There’s a big confusion in the terms, as the numbers used in Arabic are
the Hindu numbers and the numbers used in Latin languages are the Arabic