Re: File system choice for Red Hat systems

From: Alan Hodgson <ahodgson(at)simkin(dot)ca>
To: pgsql-performance(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: File system choice for Red Hat systems
Date: 2010-06-02 14:53:28
Lists: pgsql-performance

On Tuesday 01 June 2010, Mark Kirkwood <mark(dot)kirkwood(at)catalyst(dot)net(dot)nz>
wrote:
> I'm helping set up a Red Hat 5.5 system for Postgres. I was going to
> recommend xfs for the filesystem - however it seems that xfs is
> supported as a technology preview "layered product" for 5.5. This
> apparently means that the xfs tools are only available via special
> channels.
>
> What are Red Hat using people choosing for a good performing filesystem?

I've run PostgreSQL on XFS on CentOS for years. It works well. Make sure you
have a good battery-backed RAID controller under it (true for all
filesystems).

--
"No animals were harmed in the recording of this episode. We tried but that
damn monkey was just too fast."