Re: What does this configure warning mean?

From: Bruce Momjian <bruce(at)momjian(dot)us>
To: Simon Riggs <simon(at)2ndQuadrant(dot)com>
Cc: Peter Eisentraut <peter_e(at)gmx(dot)net>, Alvaro Herrera <alvherre(at)commandprompt(dot)com>, pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: What does this configure warning mean?
Date: 2010-02-22 18:01:26
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Simon Riggs wrote:
> On Thu, 2009-10-15 at 00:26 +0300, Peter Eisentraut wrote:

> > > I take it "official distribution" means "tarball" as different from a
> > > copy obtained thru CVS.
> >
> > Maybe "If you are using an official release tarball of PostgreSQL", or
> > "an official release source code archive of PostgreSQL" if we want to
> > avoid the term "tarball".
>
> Something like...
>
> If you have downloaded a full copy of the source then....
> If you are building from a repository checkout ...
>
> We don't need to use the word tarball, but we do need to say what we
> mean. Anyway, its a seldom-used error message and I wouldn't have hit it
> if my laptop hadn't needed recovery.

With the attached patch, I have updated the message to use the wording
"bundled distribution". I think the point about the snapshot tarballs
and official releases is that they are "bundled" rather than pulled via
CVS.

EnterpriseDB http://enterprisedb.com
PG East: http://www.enterprisedb.com/community/nav-pg-east-2010.do

Attachment Content-Type Size