Re: Shall I convert all my stored procedure to use "EXECUTE", to ensure I get index-scan

From: Sam Mason <sam(at)samason(dot)me(dot)uk>
To: pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Shall I convert all my stored procedure to use "EXECUTE", to ensure I get index-scan
Date: 2010-01-22 14:54:34
Lists: pgsql-general

On Fri, Jan 22, 2010 at 01:49:50AM -0800, Yan Cheng Cheok wrote:
> By refering to
> http://archives.postgresql.org/pgsql-general/2010-01/msg00846.php
>
> Does this means, I shall convert *ALL* my stored procedure, which use
> function parameter during its SQL query, to use EXECUTE, to ensure I
> always get index-scan?

I wouldn't bother, mainly because converting to EXECUTE does *not*
ensure it'll use an index scan. Just that the stats it's picking up
will be more appropriate to the query in question. That's normally
going to be a win, but for some queries PG will end up spending longer
planning the queries than it will running them.

Also, if you're only testing with made up datasets and not the whole
thing, PG will be behaving differently. You can only really see what's
going on when you're testing with the real data.

--
Sam http://samason.me.uk/