Re: Index on immutable function call

From: Sam Mason <sam(at)samason(dot)me(dot)uk>
To: pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Index on immutable function call
Date: 2010-01-19 11:54:33
Lists: pgsql-general

On Tue, Jan 19, 2010 at 07:40:00AM +0100, Philippe Lang wrote:
> I'm trying to figure out how to use an index on an immutable function
> call in order to speed up queries.
[..]
> Unfortunately, Postgreql does not use the index at all.

Yup, an index isn't going to be very useful in what you're doing. It's
arranged the "wrong" way around---you want something in the table itself
to compare against. I'd just have another column in the table that
stores the result of the function call (use a trigger to keep it up to
date) and then create an index on this column if you want/need.

--
Sam http://samason.me.uk/