Re: postgresql definitive list of network resources used/needed?

From: Scott Ribe <scott_ribe(at)elevated-dev(dot)com>
To: richard coleman <rcoleman(dot)ascentgl(at)gmail(dot)com>
Cc: pgsql-admin(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: postgresql definitive list of network resources used/needed?
Date: 2022-08-10 21:24:38
Lists: pgsql-admin

> On Aug 10, 2022, at 3:08 PM, richard coleman <rcoleman(dot)ascentgl(at)gmail(dot)com> wrote:
>
> I'm currently standing up a number of PostgreSQL 14 servers. There is a question concerning ports and protocols required or used by PostgreSQL. Unfortunately, I can't seem to find any such listing. Most references only mention the primary connection port, ex: tcp 5432.

There is whatever port you configure it for; the default is 5432.

> Apparently, I've discovered that PostgreSQL connects to itself over UDP.

No it doesn't. (It can use Unix domain sockets for local connections.)

> I've also discovered, while looking at the network while one of our server was running PostgreSQL, that while there were a number of connections between local 5432 and a random remote port, there was also a connection from a local random port to a remote 5432. If these ports were closed and only 5432 left open, this connection would have failed.

That sounds like you're confused by the fact that when a client connects to a server, the server port is fixed, but the client chooses a random outbound port.

> Does anyone know where I might find the definitive listing of ports and protocols used by PostgreSQL?

TCP, whatever port you configure it listen on.