Re: Postgres online backup and restore has errors that are concerning

From: Alan Hodgson <ahodgson(at)simkin(dot)ca>
To: pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Postgres online backup and restore has errors that are concerning
Date: 2009-06-25 14:51:09
Lists: pgsql-general

On Thursday 25 June 2009, Chris Barnes <compuguruchrisbarnes(at)hotmail(dot)com>
wrote:
> I started an online backup of postgres, tar’d my data folder, copy to
> usb drive in production
> and restored it into my RC environment. Have I missed
> something important?

You need the transaction logs archived during and immediately after the
backup, and you need to setup a recovery.conf for the initial startup that
can access those files. See the PITR backup notes in the documentation,
they're really quite complete.

--
WARNING: Do not look into laser with remaining eye.