Re: 8.3.5 problem with plpgsql selecting into an array variable

From: raf <raf(at)raf(dot)org>
To: pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: 8.3.5 problem with plpgsql selecting into an array variable
Date: 2009-04-06 06:06:36
Lists: pgsql-general

Tom Lane wrote:

> raf <raf(at)raf(dot)org> writes:
> > declare
> > pay_group_rec pay_group;
> > balance decimal(10,2)[];
> > begin
> > select g.* into pay_group_rec from pay_group g where g.id = pay_group_id;
>
> > select
> > sum(p.balance_period[1]),
> > sum(p.balance_period[2])
> > into
> > balance[1],
> > balance[2]
> > from
> > payee p
>
> Sorry, you can't do that ... per the fine manual, the INTO target can be
> "a record variable, a row variable, or a comma-separated list of simple
> variables and record/row fields". Nothing there about array subscript
> expressions.
>
> regards, tom lane

hi tom,

i had read the manual and the end of my original message
said what you've just said followed by a request for this
non-orthogonality in plpgsql to be fixed.

i'm just repeating myself in case you responded without
reading that part of the message (busy man that you are).

no doubt it's a low priority thing but not allowing array
elements here is hardly a desirable thing.

cheers,
raf