TIME column manipulation/comparison hangups

From: Bill Moran <wmoran(at)collaborativefusion(dot)com>
To: pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: TIME column manipulation/comparison hangups
Date: 2008-11-03 19:01:18
Lists: pgsql-general

I'm trying to test the time in a time column to see if it's the same
minute as the current time. I wouldn't have thought this would be
difficult:

WHERE TO_CHAR(now(), 'HH24MI') = TO_CHAR(time_column, 'HH24MI')

Doesn't work, though:
ERROR: function to_char(time with time zone, unknown) does not exist

So, I tried to force it:
WHERE TO_CHAR(now(), 'HH24MI') = TO_CHAR(time_column::TIMESTAMP WITH TIME ZONE, 'HH24MI')

Which led to an invalid cast. I also tried using date_trunc() with no
success. It seems as if EXTRACT() will work, but it sure feels hacky
to do:

(extract(hours from now()) = extract(hours from time_column)
AND
(extract(minutes from now()) = extract(minutes from time_column)

Am I missing something obvious? Anyone have any better methods for
doing this? I'm working on 8.3.

--
Bill Moran
Collaborative Fusion Inc.