BUG #4343: upper, lower, initcap do not work with umlaute? (important!)

From: "paull" <kaeptn(dot)haddock(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: pgsql-bugs(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: BUG #4343: upper, lower, initcap do not work with umlaute? (important!)
Date: 2008-08-06 15:06:32
Lists: pgsql-bugs

Bug reference: 4343
Logged by: paull
Email address: kaeptn(dot)haddock(at)gmail(dot)com
PostgreSQL version: 8.2? not sure
Operating system: ubuntu
(important!)
Details:

Hello

Sorry; I forgot to mention, that the Database is encoded in SQLASCII, so I
suspect, that this is the source of the problem. Probably noone can fix it
then.
Sorry for creating unnecessary reports.

Best regards

---------------------------------------

I suspect this is no news, but then again, maybe noone ever bothered to
report?

I suspect that pgsql functions upper, lower and initcap do not support
umlaute. If I query in phppgadmin like this:

select
initcap('xxx'),upper('xxx'),initcap('öÖöÖäÄäÄä'),upper('öÖöÖä
äÄä')

the result is this:
Xxx XXX öÖöÖäÄäÄä öÖöÖäÄäÄä

Hope this helps you