Re: psql wrapped format default for backslash-d commands

From: Alvaro Herrera <alvherre(at)commandprompt(dot)com>
To: Bruce Momjian <bruce(at)momjian(dot)us>
Cc: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>, Bryce Nesbitt <bryce2(at)obviously(dot)com>, PostgreSQL-development <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: psql wrapped format default for backslash-d commands
Date: 2008-05-13 18:19:16
Lists: pgsql-hackers

There's another serious usability problem here, which is that the pager
ability is not being used correctly. Consider the \df+ tg_* query I
used as example for another bug report. psql says that it is 27 rows; I
have my window taller than that (47 lines right now), yet the output is
actually *a lot* longer than 27 rows (598 lines), due to the embedded
newlines in the functions source. Yet the pager is not used, and so the
whole thing scrolls past.

Also: someone else said that if the pager mode is "auto", then the pager
should be used not only when the output is _longer_ than the screen, but
also if it's _wider_. I agree with that.