Re: Cannot use a standalone backend to VACUUM in "postgres""

From: Alvaro Herrera <alvherre(at)commandprompt(dot)com>
To: Manuel Sugawara <masm(at)fciencias(dot)unam(dot)mx>
Cc: pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Cannot use a standalone backend to VACUUM in "postgres""
Date: 2008-04-09 13:28:24
Lists: pgsql-general

Manuel Sugawara wrote:

> Ok, will do that. Thanks a lot Alvaro. Want me to send more details to
> debug the problem?.

Yes, it would be good to know why the shared catalogs were not being
vacuumed, if you can find that out. I would have guessed that they
weren't being vacuumed due to the fact that they can only be vacuumed by
a superuser, but in a standalone backend you are always superuser. So
if you ran a database-wide vacuum, they should have been processed.

What happens if you try "vacuum pg_database", etc? Does the
age(relfrozenxid) change?