Re: date and time

From: Adrian Klaver <aklaver(at)comcast(dot)net>
To: pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org
Cc: "Alain Roger" <raf(dot)news(at)gmail(dot)com>
Subject: Re: date and time
Date: 2008-03-24 14:51:17
Lists: pgsql-general

On Monday 24 March 2008 7:35 am, Alain Roger wrote:
> Hi,
>
> i have a stored procedure (a function) in which i must generate a date/time
> stamp.
> for that i use "select * from now();" and store the result into a column
> table.
>
> is there a easier way to do that ? i tried to store directly now(); result
> but without success.
>
> thx.
If you want the timestamp on INSERT add DEFAULT now() to column.
In a pl/pgsql function I do;

new.ts_update:=now()

where ts_update is the column I am updating.
Be aware now() records the time at the beginning of the transaction. An
alternate is clock_timestamp() which records the current time.
--
Adrian Klaver
aklaver(at)comcast(dot)net