Re: An actually *useful* mail-list message footer

From: Bruce Momjian <bruce(at)momjian(dot)us>
To: Magnus Hagander <magnus(at)hagander(dot)net>
Cc: Alvaro Herrera <alvherre(at)commandprompt(dot)com>, Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>, Greg Sabino Mullane <greg(at)turnstep(dot)com>, pgsql-www(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: An actually *useful* mail-list message footer
Date: 2008-03-03 16:00:12
Lists: pgsql-www

Magnus Hagander wrote:
> > The bit that's wrong about this URL is that it's not specific to the
> > pgsql-www list -- it's a general form for all lists; the "extra=foo"
> > stuff is being ignored. I don't understand why you got a 404 for Greg's
> > URL. Are you sure you didn't mis-paste it? I tried on a private web
> > session to make sure there are no cookies or open sessions, at it works
> > well for me. It can also be made shorter easily (because we don't use
> > the virtual domain stuff):
> >
> > http://mail.postgresql.org/mj/mj_wwwusr/?func=lists-long-full&extra=pgsql-www
>
> At the risk of giving myself more work ;-), perhaps we should refer to some
> place on our main website that just does a redirect? That'll at least look
> prettier for the user. Something like
> http://wwwmaster.postgresql.org/unsub?pgsql-www or like that? Hmm. Maybe
> it's not all that much nicer looking...

I have now realized the Postgres FAQ was lacking in providing
unsubscribe information, and in not promoting the use of eliminatecc and
selfcopy for people who want it. I have added a new FAQ item:

1.15) How do I unsubscribe from the PostgreSQL email lists? How do I
avoid receiving duplicate emails?

The PostgreSQL Majordomo <URL> page allows subscribing or
unsubscribing from any of the PostgreSQL email lists. (You might
need to have your Majordomo password emailed to you to log in.)

All PostgreSQL email lists are configured so a group reply goes to the
email list and the original email author. This is done so users receive
the quickest possible email replies. If you would prefer not to receive
duplicate email from the list in cases where you already receive an
email directly, check eliminatecc from the Majordomo Change Settings
page. You can also prevent yourself from receiving copies of emails you
post to the lists by unchecking selfcopy.