Re: big database performance

From: Jared Mauch <jared(at)puck(dot)nether(dot)net>
To: Stephane Bailliez <sbailliez(at)gmail(dot)com>
Cc: Jared Mauch <jared(at)puck(dot)nether(dot)net>, pgsql-performance(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: big database performance
Date: 2008-01-10 14:34:40
Lists: pgsql-performance

On Thu, Jan 10, 2008 at 12:08:39PM +0100, Stephane Bailliez wrote:
> Jared Mauch wrote:
>> I do large databases in Pg, like 300GB/day of new data.
>
> That's impressive. Would it be possible to have details on your hardware,
> schema and configuration and type of usage ?
>
> I'm sure there's something to learn in there for a lot of people (or at
> least for me)

http://archives.postgresql.org/pgsql-performance/2007-12/msg00372.php

http://archives.postgresql.org/pgsql-performance/2006-05/msg00444.php

The hardware specs are kinda boring since it's not
I/O bound, so you could get the same disk performance out of
some EIDE 7200 rpm disks (which I have done for testing).

The current setup is a 4xOpteron 8218 (dual core) w/ 16G ram.
I have roughly 12TB usable disk space on the sysem connected via some
SATA <-> FC thing our systems folks got us. Problem I have is the linear
cpu speed isn't enough and there would be challenges splitting the
workload across multiple cpus. All my major reporting is done via
pg_dump and I'm pondering what would happen if I just removed Pg
from the equation for the major reporting tasks entirely. I may see
much better performance without the database [in my way]. I've not
done that as some types of data access would need to be significantly
redone and I don't want to spend the time on that...

- Jared

--
Jared Mauch | pgp key available via finger from jared(at)puck(dot)nether(dot)net
clue++; | http://puck.nether.net/~jared/ My statements are only mine.