odbcng

From: Sam Mason <sam(at)samason(dot)me(dot)uk>
To: pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: odbcng
Date: 2007-11-07 18:19:12
Lists: pgsql-general

On Tue, Nov 06, 2007 at 05:48:12PM -0300, Alvaro Herrera wrote:
> FYI there's another Postgres ODBC driver that is said to have better
> performance.
>
> https://projects.commandprompt.com/public/odbcng
>
> (Yes, my company maintains it)

Are there any known issues when calling it from VB? I've got a VB (MS
Access) client that uses PG as its backend and it seems to die horribly
when doing any sort of query that returns a text column. This happens
through either DAO or ADO; though DAO gives the error "the size of a
field is too long", ADO just segfaults.

For example, the following code doesn't work for me. Looks like the
sort of thing that that should get lots of test coverage so maybe it's
something on my system.

Public Sub test()
Dim con As ADODB.Connection, rs As ADODB.Recordset

Set con = New ADODB.Connection
con.Open "DSN=badgerstudy"

Set rs = con.Execute("SELECT 1, 'foo'::TEXT, 'bar'")

While Not rs.EOF
rs.MoveNext
Wend
End Sub