Coercing compound types to use generic ROW comparison operators

From: Randall Lucas <rlucas(at)tercent(dot)com>
To: pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Coercing compound types to use generic ROW comparison operators
Date: 2007-10-11 01:49:59
Lists: pgsql-general

I am storing a rowtype that keeps the primary key column(s) of another
table. E.g.,

create table point (x int, y int, stuff text, primary key
(x, y));

then, think:

create type point_pk as (x int, y int).

When I go to compare point_pks against one another I get errors about
missing comparison operators.

HOWEVER, I can do this no problem:

select row(1,2)=row(2,3);

I would REALLY like to be able to use the generic row comparison
functions, which, as detailed in the manual, are equivalent to
comparing elements left-to-right.

Is there a way I can convince my custom composite data type (point_pk)
to use the row-wise comparison functions, so that I don't have to
hackishly rewrite the comparison algorithm for each composite type?

Using 8.1.5.

Thanks,

Randall

--