UPDATE pg_catalog.pg_class as NO Superuser??

From: "Kai Behncke" <Kai-Behncke(at)gmx(dot)de>
To: pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: UPDATE pg_catalog.pg_class as NO Superuser??
Date: 2007-09-13 09:25:39
Lists: pgsql-general

Dear list,

on my system I have multiple user.

I want that the user xy (who is no superuser) can Update a systemtable with:

UPDATE pg_catalog.pg_class SET reltriggers = 0;

With psql I already wrote:

ALTER TABLE pg_catalog.pg_class OWNER TO xy;

and

GRANT ALL PRIVILEGES ON pg_catalog.pg_class TO xy;

I check it with \dS
and see:

List of relations
Schema | Name | Type | Owner
------------+--------------------------+-------+-----------
pg_catalog | pg_aggregate | table | postgres
pg_catalog | pg_am | table | postgres
pg_catalog | pg_amop | table | postgres
pg_catalog | pg_amproc | table | postgres
pg_catalog | pg_attrdef | table | postgres
pg_catalog | pg_attribute | table | postgres
pg_catalog | pg_auth_members | table | postgres
pg_catalog | pg_authid | table | postgres
pg_catalog | pg_autovacuum | table | postgres
pg_catalog | pg_cast | table | postgres
pg_catalog | pg_class | table | xy

But always if I sent as user xy the
"UPDATE pg_catalog.pg_class SET reltriggers = 0;"-command I get:

"SQL error:

ERROR: permission denied for relation pg_class"

Why is that? MUST I be a superuser for that?
Is there any way to set that command as user xy?

Thank you very much in advance, Kai