inheriting a rule or a trigger?

From: Louis-David Mitterrand <vindex+lists-pgsql-sql(at)apartia(dot)org>
To: pgsql-sql(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: inheriting a rule or a trigger?
Date: 2007-07-24 14:37:37
Lists: pgsql-sql

Hi,

I'm trying to protect created_by and created_on columns from accidental
update. Most of my tables inherit from a 'source' table that has those
columns, so I was thinking of creating a rule or trigger that does
nothing on update to these columns. But apparently rules and triggers
don't apply to child tables.

Is there another way to have the same effect, short of a rule/trigger on
each table?