tsearch2 questions

From: Joshua N Pritikin <jpritikin(at)pobox(dot)com>
To: pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: tsearch2 questions
Date: 2007-07-04 06:17:34
Lists: pgsql-general

1. What is the advantage of the tsearch2() trigger? Why can't I write my
own trigger which does approximately:

UPDATE manuscript set manuscript_vector =
setweight(to_tsvector(manuscript_genre), 'A') ||
setweight(to_tsvector(manuscript_title), 'B') ||
to_tsvector(manuscript_abstract);

2. Is there a way to know in advance the maximum return value of the
rank function? I have lots of other information to include in the
goodness-of-match score besides the fulltext match rank so I would
prefer a tsearch2 rank score between 0 and 1. Do I need to write my own
rank function?

--
Make April 15 just another day, visit http://fairtax.org