record fields as columns in reports

From: Reinoud van Leeuwen <reinoud(dot)v(at)n(dot)leeuwen(dot)net>
To: pgsql-sql(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: record fields as columns in reports
Date: 2007-06-28 14:46:15
Lists: pgsql-sql

Hi everybody,

I have a script that runs every night and produces a list of a few error
conditions and the number.

My manager would like it in a form where he can produce some charts in a
spreadsheet (that's probably why he's a manager ";-).

So the table I store the errormessages in has a format like this:

CREATE TABLE repport_history
(
rundate date,
errordescription character varying(255),
number bigint
)

And I would like an output with something like:

06/22 06/23 06/24 06/25
ERROR1 10 10 9 8
ERROR2 250 300 220 200
ERROR3 4 2 0 0

(probably in csv or something like that but that is the easy part ";-)

The problems are:
- how to create a dynamic result type? (is that possible in a stored
procedure?)
- how to make sure that missing records are reported as 0
(some errors might not have entries on some dates)

Has somebody ever made a generic solution for something like this? (or do
I need a reporting tool?)

Thanks in advance,
Reinoud

"Nothing is as subjective as reality"
Reinoud van Leeuwen reinoud(dot)v(at)n(dot)leeuwen(dot)net
http://www.xs4all.nl/~reinoud