Re: alter table type from double precision to real

From: ssoo(at)siliconfile(dot)com
To: Gregory Stark <stark(at)enterprisedb(dot)com>
Cc: pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: alter table type from double precision to real
Date: 2007-06-25 10:57:07
Lists: pgsql-general

Gregory Stark <stark(at)enterprisedb(dot)com> wrote:
> This could also be due to alignment restrictions on the other columns or the
> row as a whole. If you're curious exactly what's going on and how to optimize
> your table layout send your table definition and we can tell you exactly how
> it's being laid out and where the extra 4 bytes are going.

Here's my table:

create table WaferTestItem (
WaferID integer NOT NULL REFERENCES Wafer (ID),
X integer NOT NULL,
Y integer NOT NULL,
TestItemID integer NOT NULL REFERENCES TestItem (ID),
Value double precision NOT NULL,
PRIMARY KEY (WaferID, X, Y, TestItemID)
);

What happen if type of Value altered to real?