Running v8.1 amd v8.2 at the same time for a transition

From: Vincenzo Romano <vincenzo(dot)romano(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Running v8.1 amd v8.2 at the same time for a transition
Date: 2007-06-05 21:40:00
Lists: pgsql-general

Hi all.
I need to run both 8.1 and 8.2 at the same time in order to check
everything in 8.2 *before* shutting 8.1 down.
I need to run both as I only have one machine available.
I'm using a debian derivateive (Kubuntu) that provides a nice pg_wrapper
mechanism to direct connections for tools to either version you want.
Infact I see both versions running, one on port 5432 and one on port 5433.
The point is thay I have no clue on ow to choose which instance attach to.
I've already posted this question to the KUbuntu team with no answer in 14+
hours.

Is there anyone with a good hint?

Thanks.

--