Re: Best OS for Postgres 8.2

From: "Steinar H(dot) Gunderson" <sgunderson(at)bigfoot(dot)com>
To: pgsql-performance(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Best OS for Postgres 8.2
Date: 2007-05-09 09:38:24
Lists: pgsql-performance

On Wed, May 09, 2007 at 01:57:51AM -0700, david(at)lang(dot)hm wrote:
> given that RAID, snapshots, etc are already in the linux kernel, I suspect
> that what will need to happen is for the filesystem to be ported without
> those features and then the userspace tools (that manipulate the volumes )
> be ported to use the things already in the kernel.

Well, part of the idea behind ZFS is that these parts are _not_ separated in
"layers" -- for instance, the filesystem can push data down to the RAID level
to determine the stripe size used.

Whether this is a good idea is of course hotly debated, but I don't think you
can port just the filesystem part and call it a day.

/* Steinar */
--
Homepage: http://www.sesse.net/