Re: [pgsql-advocacy] Broken links in presskit

From: Magnus Hagander <magnus(at)hagander(dot)net>
To: Robert Treat <xzilla(at)users(dot)sourceforge(dot)net>
Cc: pgsql-www(at)postgresql(dot)org, josh(at)agliodbs(dot)com
Subject: Re: [pgsql-advocacy] Broken links in presskit
Date: 2007-04-13 07:11:14
Lists: pgsql-advocacy pgsql-www

On Thu, Apr 12, 2007 at 01:36:32PM -0400, Robert Treat wrote:
> On Thursday 12 April 2007 09:59, Magnus Hagander wrote:
> > Going through the logs on the new wwwmaster to find broken links, I noticed
> > that almost every presskit for 8.2 contained broken links in them. Mainly
> > to the sourceforge site (which missed sourceforge.net!) but also to
> > regional sites, and to pages on our own site.
> >
> > Clearly, the verification of all the links in the presskits needs to be
> > added to the presskit checklist (i assume there is one somewhere) for 8.3
> > and on.
> >
> > (I've fixed the links for now)
>
> Perhaps there should be some automated link checking for the postgresql
> website?

Taht's not a bad idea. I talked it over briefly with Dave yesterday, and we
discussed doing it in the mirror script. This can probably be done, but it
rquires some re-archtecturing of the mirror script (which may be needed
anyway, as it's very inefficient somewhere - it represents about 98% of
the CPU usage for a site build - compared to 2% for both the server-side
PHP and the database server).

That said, I *still* think we need better quality-control on the submitted
press info, given that the mirror script can only tell that a link exists,
not that it points to the correct place.

//Magnus