Re: Additional global stats

From: "Magnus Hagander" <magnus(at)hagander(dot)net>
To: tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us
Cc: pgsql-patches(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Additional global stats
Date: 2007-03-16 06:07:36
Lists: pgsql-patches

> > Here's a patch to add some more data to pg_stat_database. Turns out it
> > was a lot easier than I thought - especially after reading Alvaros mail.
> > Luckily I think he was wrong this time ;-)
>
> This seems like the wrong way to go about it. Why not compute these sums
> on demand by scanning the stats tables, instead of bloating the stats
> collector traffic even more?

Stats traffic should not be affected at all. It just user the same messages already there to increase a couple of global counters per database. The only thing
that increases is that the stats file gets another 5 counters per database. Given how few databases you normally have compared to number of tables, I would
think that should be pretty trivial.

Scanning them on demand will require loading the whole stats file into the backend instead of just the current database, which I considered more bloated..

/Magnus