Re: My honours project - databases using dynamically attached entity-properties

From: Josh Berkus <josh(at)agliodbs(dot)com>
To: pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Cc: "Andrew Hammond" <andrew(dot)george(dot)hammond(at)gmail(dot)com>
Subject: Re: My honours project - databases using dynamically attached entity-properties
Date: 2007-03-12 23:26:55
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Amdrew,

> I have yet to encounter one, but
> Josh has more experience, and more varied experience than I do. To me,
> EAV is a perfect example of ignoring the YAGNI principal.

I've done plenty of applications where part of the specification for the
application was "User Defined Fields" allowing the users to customize the
data structure at runtime. This is a very, very common thing; of the 15
or so commercial applications I implemented from scratch as a consultant
probably 10 of them had it.

I really don't see any way you could implement UDFs other than EAV that
wouldn't be immensely awkward, or result in executing DDL at runtime.

--
--Josh

Josh Berkus
PostgreSQL @ Sun