regression in 8.8.2 [was Re: Very strange error]

From: Andrea Arcangeli <andrea(at)cpushare(dot)com>
To: Michael Slattery <slattery(at)angel(dot)net>
Cc: pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: regression in 8.8.2 [was Re: Very strange error]
Date: 2007-02-06 18:11:09
Lists: pgsql-general

On Tue, Feb 06, 2007 at 10:09:16AM -0500, Michael Slattery wrote:
> When does this error crop up? What is the query? Does this select
> involve more than one table, or does it involve any homemade
> functions? Or overriden functions?

My application broke in a big way with the security update to 8.2.2 so
I hope this is a bug in 8.2.2 and not an intentional breakage of
backwards compatibility in a security update ;).

Actually I'm using the REL8_2_STABLE branch in CVS which may be a bit
more advanced than the plain 8.2.2, but still it's supposedly a stable
branch.

The easiest way for me to reproduce is this:

cpushare=> create table x (x NUMERIC(28,2) CHECK(x >= 0));
CREATE TABLE
cpushare=> insert into x values (0);
INSERT 0 1
cpushare=> update x set x = 0;
ERROR: attribute 1 has wrong type
DETAIL: Table has type numeric, but query expects numeric.
cpushare=>

Comments welcome. Thanks!