Re: Can a database be restored successfully after new installation.

From: Andrew Sullivan <ajs(at)crankycanuck(dot)ca>
To: pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Can a database be restored successfully after new installation.
Date: 2007-02-02 18:03:45
Lists: pgsql-general

On Fri, Feb 02, 2007 at 11:27:38PM +0530, Rohit Prakash Khare wrote:
> If I have a backup of pgsql database and I take this dump file to
> another machine where postgresql is freshly installed with standard
> settings. Will I be able to restore the database?

How did you backup? pg_dump? Sure, oughta work fine, assuming you
have all the necessary support in your target system. (e.g. if
you're using plpgsql, for instance, you need to have performed
createlang for it, &c.)

Unfortunately reformatting the Internet is a little more painful
than reformatting your hard drive when it gets out of whack.
--Scott Morris