Re: ECPG regression tests seem rather fundamentally broken

From: Peter Eisentraut <peter_e(at)gmx(dot)net>
To: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
Cc: Michael Meskes <meskes(at)postgresql(dot)org>, pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: ECPG regression tests seem rather fundamentally broken
Date: 2007-01-21 08:29:32
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Tom Lane wrote:
> AFAICT, every buildfarm machine that runs ecpg tests has been failing
> since Peter's patch here:
> http://archives.postgresql.org/pgsql-committers/2007-01/msg00241.php
>
> Now it looks to me like Peter was simply wrong: we do need to include
> libpq because libecpg depends on it. However, I tried reverting the
> change and things still did not work. The reason is that the test
> programs are built with relative paths to libpq that look like
> ../../../../../src/interfaces/libpq/libpq.sl.5

This is a symptom specific to HP-UX, which hardcodes the link-time
library path into the output. The ECPG test probably never worked
there.

> and then executed one level up from where they were built, causing
> the relative path to be no good. I suspect the only reason it has
> been appearing to work for awhile is that people had usable copies
> of libpq and perhaps libecpg installed in system-standard library
> directories. Take away those preinstalled libs, or render them
> version-incompatible, and the ecpg tests stop working.

I don't have any matching preinstalled libraries anywhere and I verified
with ldd that it seems to look in the expected places for both
libraries, and indeed the tests pass for me, so I don't know what's
going on.
--
Peter Eisentraut