Re: GUID/UUID Support

From: David Lee Lambert <as4109(at)wayne(dot)edu>
To: pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: GUID/UUID Support
Date: 2007-01-17 02:09:48
Lists: pgsql-general

On Tuesday 16 January 2007 05:47 pm, Patrick Earl wrote:
> Greetings all. I've been poking around the web and trying to track
> the status of the GUID/UUID patches. In the todo list, that item is
> not marked as going into 8.3, and I feel this is unfortunate.
>
> [...]
>
> One thing that is quite important, to me at least, is to make the GUID
> generation functionality cross-platform. Using a random UUID
> technique for an initial implementation would simplify this issue.

The problem with a random UUID generator is: where do you get the random
numbers? However, there are really only two platforms to worry about:
POSIX (use libuuid) and Win32 (there is probably a Win32 function to generate
it, since MS SQL Server and the .NET API both provide GUID generation; but
I can't seem to find it by searching the Web).

Anyway, the uniqueidentifier project on GBorg seems like it has what you
want: a user-defined type, and a generator. I think the main thing it
needs is some code cleanup/robustness and a lot of production testing.

--
David Lee Lambert (recent WSU grad) <as4109(at)wayne(dot)edu>
Cell phone: +1 586-873-8813