PostgreSQL Connections?

From: Ashish Karalkar <ashish_karalkar(at)yahoo(dot)com>
To: slony <pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: PostgreSQL Connections?
Date: 2007-01-10 05:48:01
Lists: pgsql-general

Hello All,
I am running PostgresSQL 8.2 on Redhat Linux 4.
When I look for the processes that are using postgres
using ps aux|more
I got lots of Idle processes with servers own IP
address. Can anybody please tell me why this is
happening.

Also there are multiple processes for my single
client(same IP) of which maximum are idle. are these
processes means connection or there is a single
connection starting many processes.

I am having max connection =200