permission in the db or in the application?

From: Sandro Dentella <sandro(at)e-den(dot)it>
To: pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: permission in the db or in the application?
Date: 2006-12-18 12:10:06
Lists: pgsql-general

Hi all,

I'm starting a project in which I will use PostgreSQL in which I need to
check permissions at different levels (eg.: status of a record, hierarchy
and so on). The application needs to run with a web interface (sigh!).

At first I thought i'd like to put as much permission logic as possible in
the database, and I was willing to evaluate veil for that.

The reasons where mainly two:

1. to be sure that those permission where observed independently from the
way I was accessing the data. No way to create security 'holes'

2. simplicity in the code

Some days ago I read an e-mail of somebody that strongly opposed to using
a db other than for ACID features.

I'd like to hear from this list some thoughts on this subjects.

thanks
sandro
*:-)

--