database design ...

From: Desmond Coughlan <coughlandesmond(at)yahoo(dot)fr>
Subject: database design ...
Date: 2006-11-14 15:41:57
Lists: pgsql-general

Hi,
Thanks for all the help: we have our postgreSQL server on a 'backend' machine, and the client on a webserver.

The application I want to develop is a school library, and as this is new to me, I come looking for ideas. Here's what I've done: on the backend, two users (in addition to 'pgsql'): dba and 'cdi' (the name of the library, as in the _premises_ where the library is located). I create a database 'library', owned by dba, but with cdi having update privileges (but not 'drop table' etc).

'library' has four tables...

1. users (with user_ids, surname, first_name, dob, address etc...)
2. stock (stock_id, ISBN, title...)
3. loans (loan_id, stock_id [foreign key to stock_id], date_due)...

Is there anything else that such a db would need ?

Thanks.

D.