Re: Automatically Creating INSERT/UPDATE/DELETE Rules on Views

From: Robert Treat <xzilla(at)users(dot)sourceforge(dot)net>
To: pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org
Cc: "Matt Miller" <pgsql(at)mattmillersf(dot)fastmail(dot)fm>
Subject: Re: Automatically Creating INSERT/UPDATE/DELETE Rules on Views
Date: 2006-11-12 04:06:02
Lists: pgsql-general

On Friday 10 November 2006 18:39, Matt Miller wrote:
> I'm converting a large Oracle DB that uses hundreds of updatable views.
> ora2pg is quite useful, but it looks like it doesn't do anything to
> create the rules that are needed to make the views updatable. Under
> Oracle simple views like "select * from the_table" are automatically
> updatable, so the Oracle schema doesn't have any triggers or the like
> that I could import as PG rules.

You might be able to use the information in pg_depend to write a script to
generate the rules for any view that only has a single table in it's
dependency tree. (I've really no idea if this would work, so if you try it
and it succeeds please post a note or some code back to the group!)

--
Robert Treat