Re: lots of values for IN() clause

From: Alvaro Herrera <alvherre(at)commandprompt(dot)com>
To: Markus Schiltknecht <markus(at)bluegap(dot)ch>
Cc: pgsql general <pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: lots of values for IN() clause
Date: 2006-11-02 16:23:09
Lists: pgsql-general

Markus Schiltknecht wrote:
> Hello Alvaro,
>
> yeah, thanks, that's it. postgresql.conf had:
>
> max_stack_depth = 8192 # min 100, size in KB
>
> I don't know who put it at 8192. According to the fine manual at [1], it
> should be set to something below 'ulimit -s', which gives 8192 on the
> machine in question. I've now set it to 7000 and I also get a warning
> instead of a SEGFAULT.

I notice it crashes with max_stack_depth set to 8173, but correctly
detects the error with max_stack_depth set to 8172. The doc suggests a
safety margin of "a megabyte or so", so I think we are conforming to our
docs here.

Tom recently added a check for getrlimit(RLIMIT_STACK), but I don't know
if that considered the "megabyte or so". *peeks the code* Yeah,
there's a 512 kb "daylight", but there's also an absolute maximum of
2MB.