Re: On future conferences

From: Andrew Sullivan <ajs(at)crankycanuck(dot)ca>
To: pgsql-advocacy(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: On future conferences
Date: 2006-10-02 17:28:57
Lists: pgsql-advocacy

On Mon, Oct 02, 2006 at 12:49:27PM -0400, Chander Ganesan wrote:

> company out there...and many others. Their problem is more one of
> offering training to support their sales machine (I'd wonder if it is
> even a profit center for them)...

I think this is an important observation. "Certification" in many
technologies in fact has nothing to do with producing competent
administrators or users. It's instead a sales technique, in which
the certified pay for the privilege of being indoctrinated in the
world-view of the producers of the technology (yes, I wrote that in a
deliberately inflammatory way. It's a exaggeration). It is
sometimes the case that such certification happens to be technically
as good as can be; that isn't to say that it isn't still primarily a
sales effort.

Everything that happens in the world happens at some place.
--Jane Jacobs