Re: pgsql: We're going to have to spell dotless i

From: Martijn van Oosterhout <kleptog(at)svana(dot)org>
To: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
Cc: Bruce Momjian <bruce(at)momjian(dot)us>, pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: pgsql: We're going to have to spell dotless i
Date: 2006-09-23 19:56:04
Lists: pgsql-committers pgsql-hackers

On Sat, Sep 23, 2006 at 12:27:51PM -0400, Tom Lane wrote:
> To my mind the real problem is that one of the principal output formats
> we are interested in is HTML, and there is no dotless-i entity in any
> version of the HTML standard. I trust I need not point out again the
> difference between "my browser recognizes this construct" and "it's in
> the standard".

Sure there is, HTML4 includes all of Unicode, thus also the dotless-i.
They gave up assigning names to them after latin1, but numerical
references are in the standard also (decimal and hex).

I created a simple docbook document on my computer with &inodot; and
ran openjade over and in the output file it is converted to &#305;.
Openjade knows how to generate valid character references. The input
file is attached, I compiled it with the command:

openjade -V draft-mode -wall -wno-unused-param -wno-empty -i output-html -t sgml /tmp/a.sgml

For dsl file just copy the stylesheet.dsl file in the postgresql source
tree.

Why it doesn't work in the current docs I don't know, but I think we can
rule out limitations of HTML or Docbook.

Have a nice day,
> From each according to his ability. To each according to his ability to litigate.

Attachment Content-Type Size
a.sgml text/plain 412 bytes