Re: Nested loops are killing throughput

From: CG <cgg007(at)yahoo(dot)com>
To: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
Cc: pgsql-sql(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Nested loops are killing throughput
Date: 2006-09-19 20:36:21
Lists: pgsql-sql

>Is that the one off gborg? It's broken because the equality function is
>marked volatile, and so the planner is afraid to try to use it for
>merging or hashing. (It's also not marked strict, which means you can
>trivially crash the backend by passing it a null ...)

It is the one from gborg. That's good to know.

So to fix, I should alter the supporting functions and set the ones that should not be VOLATILE to IMMUTABLE (newid() should be VOLATILE and that's about it) and set them to STRICT as well. I haven't had a problem with it crashing my backend in the three years we've been using it, but I'd rather not take any chances.

I know the hacker list has been batting back and forth the idea of a built-in UUID type. I'll be interested to see if you end up with a standard UUID type, a fixed field type with multiple generators for differing levels of paranoia, or the status quo.

CG