Re: Autovacuum help..

From: Sundar Narayanaswamy <sundar007(at)yahoo(dot)com>
To: Francisco Reyes <lists(at)stringsutils(dot)com>
Cc: pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Autovacuum help..
Date: 2006-08-08 03:18:16
Lists: pgsql-general

I haven't had issues about the max_fsm_pages. The problem I had was caused
because I was not committing (or rolling back) after JDBC select calls.
I didn't think that was necessary because the select calls didnt modify
database. But, once I modified my selects to rollback after the
data is read from the result set, autovacuum worked fine.

I was hoping that with autovacumming working well, I don't need the cron
tasks etc to do the vacuum full periodically.. But I read a few days
back that reindexdb is recommended if there is a lot of inserts/deletes.
I have to experiment with that yet.

I'll check what I have set for max_fsm_pages tomorrow.