Re: hi i need to connect database from my system to another system

From: Richard Broersma Jr <rabroersma(at)yahoo(dot)com>
To: "Penchalaiah P(dot)" <penchalaiahp(at)infics(dot)com>, pgsql-sql(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: hi i need to connect database from my system to another system
Date: 2006-07-03 11:58:00
Lists: pgsql-sql

> I am using postgresql database server... in my system.. if I want to
> connect to this database server from other system..Or how can I use this
> database server in other machine ..
>
> How can I do this..if any one have idea about this please give me brief
> description

You need to start the postgresql server with the "-i" option to allow TCP/IP connections. Then
you need to configure your pg_hba.conf file to set the permissions about which users can connect
to which databases.

Notice the pg_ctl section for starting postgresql.
http://www.postgresql.org/docs/8.1/interactive/app-pg-ctl.html

Notice the -o "options" section that can be set. (in this case you want -i)
http://www.postgresql.org/docs/8.1/interactive/app-postmaster.html

Finally notice, the section on the pg_hba.conf file.
http://www.postgresql.org/docs/8.1/interactive/client-authentication.html#AUTH-PG-HBA-CONF

Also, secure shell also works well when connecting from another system.

Regards,

Richard Broersma Jr.