Re: Fwd: Start up question about triggers

From: Andrew Sullivan <ajs(at)crankycanuck(dot)ca>
To: pgsql-sql(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Fwd: Start up question about triggers
Date: 2006-06-27 11:39:36
Lists: pgsql-sql

On Tue, Jun 27, 2006 at 11:16:17AM +0300, Forums @ Existanze wrote:

> I looked into slony, I have a question though, how would I go about
> controlling slony via a jdbc driver? See this whole problem has arisen
> because for some reason my client wants to keep to separate databases in two
> separate locations with the same data. So he would call this partiall backup
> function via a GUI client we provide, and with this information he would go
> to the same GUI client in this other location and import this partiall
> backup.

It is totally normal to want to keep two databases in two locations:
that's a matter of safety. Slony does it automatically, as long as
the daemon is running. No need to control it.

_Unless_ you want to be able to write in the second database. That's
a different problem. You can't do that with Slony.

The fact that technology doesn't work is no bar to success in the marketplace.
--Philip Greenspun