Re: Query to return modified results at runtime?

From: Richard Broersma Jr <rabroersma(at)yahoo(dot)com>
To: George Handin <postgresql(at)dafunks(dot)com>, pgsql-sql(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Query to return modified results at runtime?
Date: 2006-06-08 04:32:36
Lists: pgsql-sql

> ID Color
> --- -------
> 1 Blue
> 2 Red
> 3 Green
> 4 Orange
>
> How would I rewrite the query to return results where the colors are
> replaced by letters to give the following results?
>
> ID Color
> 1 A
> 2 D
> 3 B
> 4 C

http://www.postgresql.org/docs/8.1/interactive/functions-conditional.html

this is probably the easiest to implement but hard to mangage over time. Another solution would
be to create color_code table that is referenced by your test table. Then when you can create a
query as: select a.ID, b.code from test as a join color_code as b on a.color = b.color;

There are additional solutions to this also. But these two are probably the easiest.