Re: ALTER SEQUENCE

From: Bruce Momjian <pgman(at)candle(dot)pha(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: Don Y <pgsql(at)DakotaCom(dot)Net>
Cc: pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: ALTER SEQUENCE
Date: 2006-05-17 21:46:39
Lists: pgsql-general

Don Y wrote:
> Bruce Momjian wrote:
> > Don Y wrote:
> >> Hi,
> >>
> >> It doesn't appear that there is a way to rename a sequence
> >> (ideally with a "cascade" action).
> >

> > Uh, the ALTER SEQUENCE manual page says:
>
> Uh, the 8.0.3 man page for ALTER SEQUENCE makes no mention of this.
> Nor does "\h ALTER SEQUENCE" in psql yield any pointers.
>
> > Some variants of ALTER TABLE can be used with sequences as
> > well; for example, to rename a sequence use ALTER TABLE
> > RENAME.
> >
> > Does that help?
>
> Sure! It appears to allow both the rename and change of ownership.
> Thanks!

I see the documentation mention added August 1, 2005 byt Tom Lane.

> Obviously, the documentation doesn't agree with the code :-(
>
> But, it still leaves unanswered the question of the risk involved
> in just changing the name/owner in the system tables...

It is best to use ALTER. The only other sure-safe way to do it is to
look at the ALTER code and do the same things with the system tables.
However, in most cases a system table modification works fine, but I
don't recommend it for production servers.

--
Bruce Momjian http://candle.pha.pa.us