Re: Creating nested functions with plpgsql

From: Jorge Godoy <jgodoy(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: pgsql-sql(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Creating nested functions with plpgsql
Date: 2006-05-07 23:46:04
Lists: pgsql-sql

Em Domingo 07 Maio 2006 20:33, Alvaro Herrera escreveu:

> We don't support nested functions at present, but you can create a
> separate function and invoke it as you would call any external function.

Yeah, I know it and that's how I use some things today, but even so, having
nested functions help to write some kinds of code.

> This is arguably better, because you may then use inner_function in any
> "outer function", not just the current one.

It depends. There are cases where it is better -- at least for legibility --
to have nested functions. Having a procedural approach is not always the
best algorithm, but, as I said, it solves almost all problems.

Thanks,
--
Jorge Godoy <jgodoy(at)gmail(dot)com>