Re: Google SoC--Idea Request

From: Alvaro Herrera <alvherre(at)commandprompt(dot)com>
To: "Jonah H(dot) Harris" <jonah(dot)harris(at)gmail(dot)com>
Cc: John DeSoi <desoi(at)pgedit(dot)com>, Pgsql Hackers <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Google SoC--Idea Request
Date: 2006-04-23 21:45:24
Lists: pgsql-hackers

I hope I'm not too late.

Jonah H. Harris wrote:
> On 4/19/06, John DeSoi <desoi(at)pgedit(dot)com> wrote:
> > Alvaro indicated he would be willing to provide direction on this
> > with testing support from me. He also said there are several other
> > possible PL/PHP issues that would warrant a SoC project.
>
> Cool... let's get 'em all listed here so we can move forward.

The following is all PL/php related, in no particular order:

1. Add support for IN/OUT parameters, and named parameters. This should
be easy to do, the majority of needed infraestructure in PL/php is there
already. It only needs a bit more love.

2. Clean up memory usage. Both compilation and execution of a function
should happen on separate, maybe temporary, memory contexts; and provide
adequate cleanup for both (for example when a function is recompiled).

3. Enable it to build separate from the Apache SAPI.

4. Allow huge resultsets to be processed by providing an option to
transparently use a cursor to fetch results partially, when spi_exec()
is called.

5. Clean up the plphp_proc_desc struct. This involves making sure we
store all the info we need to know about a function; no more, no less.
(I think currently we store things we don't need, and we don't store
some things it would be useful to know).

I don't think any of these would warrant a SoC by itself. Maybe the
whole bunch could, however.