Re: setting the environment locale - linux, windows

From: Martijn van Oosterhout <kleptog(at)svana(dot)org>
To: Tomi NA <hefest(at)gmail(dot)com>
Cc: pgsql-general <pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: setting the environment locale - linux, windows
Date: 2006-04-21 13:42:11
Lists: pgsql-general

On Fri, Apr 21, 2006 at 03:34:27PM +0200, Tomi NA wrote:
> On 4/21/06, Martijn van Oosterhout <kleptog(at)svana(dot)org> wrote:
> > You need to look at your LC_COLLATE settings. LC_COLLATE and LC_CTYPE
> > are fixed at initdb and constant across the DB.
>
> So, if I were to backup my database, clear the data directory,
> reinitialize the cluster and restore the database using the correct
> LC_COLLATE and LC_CTYPE, I'd have one language nailed?

Well, you need the reinitialise the cluster with the correct language.
Once initiailised it doesn't matter what you restore with.

> > > Are there plans to enable assigning locale at the database level?
> >
> > Plans, yes. Progress, a bit slow...
>
> No estimates, then?
> Nevertheless, thanks for the help.

Well, I'm worked on COLLATE support which would get it down to the
column level. This is pretty much what you need, since indexes could be
shared between databases and each database needs the same definition
for those indexes.

I'm got a fair way but got a little over my head, so unless someone
picks it up and completes it, it could be a while...

Have a nice day,