pg_dump -Ft failed on Windows XP

From: Yoshiyuki Asaba <y-asaba(at)sraoss(dot)co(dot)jp>
To: pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: pg_dump -Ft failed on Windows XP
Date: 2006-04-20 04:06:29
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Hi,

I got the following message when I ran pg_dump with -Ft option on
Windows XP.

> pg_dump -V
pg_dump (PostgreSQL) 8.1.2

> pg_dump -Ft test > C:\backup\xxx.out
pg_dump: [tar archiver] could not generate temporary file name: Permission denied

pg_dump calls tmpfile() in pg_backup_tar.c:tarOpen(). Win32's
tmpfile() creates the file into root folder. But non-administrator
users can't create files into root folder. So, I think it fails that
non-administrator users run pg_dump with -Ft option.

Regards,
--
Yoshiyuki Asaba
y-asaba(at)sraoss(dot)co(dot)jp