Re: Debian package for freeradius_postgresql module

From: Stephen Frost <sfrost(at)snowman(dot)net>
To: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
Cc: Chris Travers <chris(at)verkiel(dot)metatrontech(dot)com>, Martijn van Oosterhout <kleptog(at)svana(dot)org>, Chris Travers <chris(at)travelamericas(dot)com>, Tyler MacDonald <tyler(at)yi(dot)org>, Scott Marlowe <smarlowe(at)g2switchworks(dot)com>, Douglas McNaught <doug(at)mcnaught(dot)org>, lmyho <lm_yho(at)yahoo(dot)com>, pgsql general <pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Debian package for freeradius_postgresql module
Date: 2006-04-09 03:33:27
Lists: pgsql-general

> > The courts are pretty likely to strongly consider the copyright holder's
> > opinion of the license when deciding how to interpret it.
>
> It's worth pointing out here that
>
> 1. Debian is not the copyright holder.

Not sure where you got the idea that I was suggesting they were, I
certainly wasn't.

> 2. The copyright holders, in this case the authors of freeradius, saw
> no problem with it. They'd hardly have written GPL-licensed software
> that depends on a BSD-licensed package if they did, because the strict
> intepretation says that their code is undistributable, and obviously
> they intend to distribute it.

GPL-licensed software depending on a BSD-licensed package *isn't* a
problem. If we didn't link Postgres w/ OpenSSL this wouldn't be any
issue at all. If the freeradius authors explicitly say they don't have
a problem linking against a BSD-with-advertising-clause license
(or even explicitly exempt OpenSSL) then it's all fine. Saying that
because they wrote freeradius to support Postgres that they implicitly
approve of the OpenSSL license is a more than a bit of a stretch.

Thanks,

Stephen